Khaa were commissioned by the Lansdowne Club to run a competition to refurbish the courtyard and create a multifunctional space that will become a new focal point for the historic club. Won by Tonkin Liu, work will commence on site soon.
Lansdowne Club originated as a residential house for Prime Minister Lord Bute in 1761, and was finished in 1768 by Lord Shelburne. Since then it has undergone several changes and the Lansdowne Club as we know it today was opened in 1935. The courtyard is located at the heart of the club and is a rare opportunity for outside space in central London.
The two-stage competition sought designs that would provide a multifunctional outdoor ‘room’ that would be a new focal point for the club. The judges were impressed with the exceptional quality of the entries they received from all the shortlisted practices – AY Architects, De Matos Ryan, Jan-Paul Coelingh, Jestico + Whiles and Mary Duggan Architects – and thought that Tonkin Liu’s proposal had the edge with designs that “combined practicality with thrilling architecture.”
The winning submission is a dynamic suspended structure with a light and delicate perforated canopy. The delicate internal construction is designed to provide an open and airy impression even when the retractable double glazed roof is closed. Linear arcade gardens provide further ventilation and provide a connection to the Oval Court, the Club’s main function space.
The shortlisted entries by AY Architects, De Matos Ryan, Jan-Paul Coelingh, Jestico + Whiles and Mary Duggan Architects